Monday, December 27, 2004

Day 08

Today is a tiring day. Early in the morning, I tried to finish up the Microsoft Access report that Mark handed to me. At about 9.30am, I was preparing myself for the AHB walk. Talking about this trip (walk), I was really excited because for the very first time, I get the chance to wear the hard hat and the safety vest. It was really cool. We spent about 2 hours on the harbour bridge. Taking a very complete tour around the harbour bridge. I learned a lot about the structure of the bridge and got the chance to experience a lot of the stuff that I learned through textbooks, for example, the deflection of the bridge when a heavy load was acting onto it, also the maximum deflection at the mid-span of the bridge. We came back to the office about 12noon, and then after lunch, I continued on my Microsoft Access report for about half an hour before going to the “pavement and structure” brief talk given by Terry Boyle from Asset Management Group. I learned about the different types of pavement available in the market and also the pros and cons of each type of pavement and of course given the idea of which is the best among them. This talk lasted for 1.5 hours and then I went back to do my report again. I talked to Mark about the problems I had while doing it and he tried to help me with it. At last around 5pm I still couldn’t get it through. Although I’ve got about 70% done.

No comments: